Category Archives: Community

New Ro’s Bill Bauman Takes the “Sammie”

New Rochelle’s Bill Bauman has just received a Service to America Medal (“Sammie”) in recognition of his efforts to improve the quality of care available to paralyzed veterans.  Bill, who is the Director of the National Center of Excellence for the Medical Consequences of Spinal Cord Injury, was honored with his colleague Ann Spungen. The … Continue reading New Ro’s Bill Bauman Takes the “Sammie”

Ray Rice: A New Rochelle Perspective

The national conversation about Ray Rice has been even more intense and complex here in his hometown, where it is difficult for many of us to reconcile personal experiences with a young man who has contributed greatly to the community with images of this same young man committing a shocking act of domestic violence.  This … Continue reading Ray Rice: A New Rochelle Perspective

New Rochelle Branding Initiative Gets Underway

Back in March, the City Council decided to launch a major “branding” initiative, bringing in national-caliber professionals to shape a comprehensive strategy for marketing New Rochelle’s assets and attributes.  Branding is more than fluff – it can have a big impact on a community’s economy, property values, and civic image, so it’s worth doing. Now … Continue reading New Rochelle Branding Initiative Gets Underway

Heritage Homes Phase II Ground-Breaking

This morning, I attended the ground-breaking for the second phase of the Heritage Homes housing development.  This all-affordable, townhouse-style project, about a block west of City Hall, replaces a mid-rise public housing complex that is being torn down.  The new design significantly improves the quality of our local affordable housing stock and strengthens physical links … Continue reading Heritage Homes Phase II Ground-Breaking

Widespread Reaction to Group Home Statement

This especially nice tweet from @chrislhayes is an example of the feedback I have received since posting a statement about a group home for four young men with autism in New Rochelle.  My comments have now been viewed more than 10,000 times on my website and many more times on other sites.  Having expected a … Continue reading Widespread Reaction to Group Home Statement

Snapshot from the Westchester Children’s Association

This analysis from the Westchester Children’s Association (WCA) provides a useful statistical snapshot of the social and economic conditions facing families in our community.  WCA is compiling similar profiles for all the cities in Westchester.  The degree of social distress in the urban centers of the region is a stark reminder that Westchester’s idyllic image … Continue reading Snapshot from the Westchester Children’s Association