New Rochelle is READI

R.E.A.D.I. stands for Respect, Enthusiasm, Articulate, Dependable, and Initiative — qualities that every employer seeks when making hiring decisions and that are vital to every youngster planning a career.

It’s also the name of a program that New Rochelle is proud to support, alongside the Westchester-Putnam Workforce Development Board, My Brother’s Keeper, the Westchester Children’s Association, the Guidance Center of Westchester, and other not-for-profits.

We welcomed County officials and service leaders to New Rochelle City Hall today for the launch, and we’re all committed to giving young people every opportunity to succeed.  This flyer has more.

Voters Approve New Rochelle School Budget

Voters approved the revised New Rochelle school budget yesterday by a comfortable margin of about 64% to 36%, albeit in low turnout.  (A prior version of the budget was rejected in May.)

It has been an intense year for New Rochelle parents, children, and educators — beginning, of course, with the heartbreaking loss of a student in January, and then shaped by sometimes contentious debates about school programming, personnel, financing, and security.  Given this backdrop, I will admit to receiving news of the budget’s passage with relief more than pleasure.

But even as we continue wrestling with important questions, let’s not lose sight of something fundamental: New Rochelle’s public schools are an extraordinary asset, providing outstanding educational opportunities and experiences to youngsters of every interest, circumstance, and tradition.

My older son, Jeremy, will enter New Rochelle High School this September; Catie and I are truly excited to send him there, deeply grateful for the quality of our local schools and teachers, and thrilled by the remarkable diversity of our kids’ classmates.

Summer Sounds on the Shore

Waves lapping at the shore, a picnic blanket spread on a park lawn, and live music as day slips into night — what better way to enjoy the season.  New Rochelle is thrilled, once again, to present the Summer Sounds Concert Series at Hudson Park, beginning on Wednesday, June 27th, and continuing every Wednesday and Friday at 7:30pm.

Come for the performances, food trucks, and FREE admission . . . and stay for a great time with friends, family, and our community.  Check out this video for a sneak peak of this summer’s amazing acts.  And here’s a full schedule from the New Rochelle Council on the Arts.

Task Force Releases Recommendations

The “Task Force on Reducing Violence in the Lives of Children and Youth” has released its final report — a 36 page document containing recommendations for the School District, City, and community as a whole.

This press release contains a brief summary, and you can view the full report here.

I thank the Task Force members, who represent a wide cross-section of New Rochelle, for their hard work, and I look forward to reviewing and implementing suggestions that can provide our young people with a more positive, safe, and nurturing experience, both inside and outside the classroom.