Congrats to Ty Jerome

Ty Jerome, star Cavalier and Iona Prep grad.

Iona College may not have made it to the NCAA Basketball Championship this year, but New Rochelle was still well represented. Our own Ty Jerome, an Iona Prep grad, led Virginia’s Cavaliers to a big win last night. Congratulations, Ty!

Mayor for a Day

Daniel Silva, the Mayor for a Day

Through the Boys and Girls’ Clubs Civics Day, youngsters have an opportunity to come to City Hall and play the role of elected and appointed officials. Here’s Daniel Silva, who was chosen to be the mayor for a day, looking entirely comfortable at the desk!

Christopher’s Voice

April is Autism Awareness month, and I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the inspiring work of New Rochelle’s own Chris Greco, who founded Christopher’s Voice in honor of his son. Among many other accomplishments, Christopher’s Voice has spearheaded successful partnerships with more than 250 First Responder agencies throughout the country — helping to ensure that public safety professionals have the knowledge and training to address the needs of children with autism. Learn more at www.christophersvoice.org.

Honoring Great Volunteers

Mayor Noam Bramson with volunteers at the Doyle Senior Center.

I was delighted to honor more than 100 outstanding volunteers this afternoon, as part of the Mayor’s Day of Recognition for National Service.

On hand were seniors who give their time and energy to the Foster Grandparent Program, the Hugh Doyle Senior Center, Meals on Wheels of New Rochelle, Montefiore New Rochelle’s Hospital Volunteer Program, and the Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Volunteer New York! A heartfelt thank you to these terrific volunteers . . . and to the thousands of others who contribute to our community in ways big and small.

Doubling Down on MBK

Since its founding, My Brother’s Keeper New Rochelle has done an outstanding job of expanding cradle-to-career opportunities for young people in our community, especially young men of color. Recognizing the value of MBK’s collaborative model, the City was proud to double our annual financial contribution to the organization from $20,000 to $40,000, with a parallel commitment from the School District. Thank you to the dedicated community partners and service organizations that have helped make MBK a success in New Rochelle.

Congratulations to Portsmouth

Portsmouth, which is, admittedly, a very nice town.

OK. Let’s be gracious about this. Congratulations to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which (just barely) edged out New Rochelle to make it to the final four of the Strongest Town competition. It was a real nail-biter: Portsmouth received 50.4% to New Rochelle’s 49.6%. That’s Florida-style close.

Although disappointed we fell short, I am very proud that New Rochelle was in the competition in the first place and grateful to everyone who cast a vote on our behalf. Just wait ’til next year!