Category Archives: Community

Downtown Farmers Market Opens This Saturday

New Rochelle’s downtown Farmers Market is back for another season with terrific fresh produce, baked goods, meats, and fish from throughout our region.  The Market opens this Saturday, May 30th at 9am and will continue every Saturday through the fall.  Here’s more information, including details about musical performances, product demonstrations, and other family-friendly activities. Visiting … Continue reading Downtown Farmers Market Opens This Saturday

Stone Barns Meets Storm King (Plus Beer!)

The Stone Barns Center in northern Westchester is a much-admired showcase for sustainable agriculture.  (And it’s on-site restaurant, Blue Hill, offers a world-class dining experience for those willing to take out a second mortgage to cover the tab.) Storm King, a little further to our north, is one of the great cultural resources of New … Continue reading Stone Barns Meets Storm King (Plus Beer!)

Iona Residence Hall Reflects New Partnership

Last week, I attended the ground-breaking for Iona’s new student residence hall on North Avenue.  The building will also include taxable commercial space on the ground level.  You can read more about the event in this press release from the college. This development is obviously an important step forward for Iona, but it is also … Continue reading Iona Residence Hall Reflects New Partnership

New Ro Accepts “My Brother’s Keeper” Challenge

My Brother’s Keeper is a Presidential initiative aimed at helping more young people thrive in school and transition successfully to work, with an emphasis on better collaboration among service providers, educators, government, and the broader community. For several months, a group of local civic leaders — with Council Member Jared Rice, NRHS Principal Reggie Richardson, … Continue reading New Ro Accepts “My Brother’s Keeper” Challenge

Bridges Award at SEPTA Dinner

The annual Special Education PTA (SEPTA) dinner is always a terrific event, drawing hundreds of people and celebrating some truly extraordinary teachers and students.  This year’s dinner on Thursday was no exception. Here I am with Michael Apollo, who received the “Student Bridges” Award (and gave a really exceptional speech,) plus the winners of the … Continue reading Bridges Award at SEPTA Dinner