Don’t be confused by Republican Rob Astorino’s hit piece on New Rochelle’s taxes. Noam has a strong record of balanced budgets that promote economic growth, protect essential services, and lower the property tax burden.
- When you compare apples to apples, you’ll see that New Rochelle has the lowest municipal tax rate of Westchester’s big cities.
- New Rochelle has the lowest municipal workforce in the city’s modern history — accomplished without disruptive layoffs that would hurt the economy.
- Noam has helped attract hundreds of millions in private investment to New Rochelle, delivering nearly $8.5 million to taxpayers every year.
And Astorino’s record is not as clear as he’d like you to believe.
- Westchester taxpayers have paid more than $800 million for tax increases since Astorino took office.
- Rob Astorino has borrowed tens of millions of dollars to pay for operating costs — including $48 million in loans for 2013 alone — ensuring that taxpayers will bear a larger burden in future years.
- Astorino has passed the buck and pushed fees and rate increases down the ladder, increasing the tax burden for local towns and cities.
- At the same time he’s been laying off civil servants, Astorino’s been giving big raises to his political cronies.
If you find these facts helpful — please share them with your friends and neighbors!
— Jeremy Sherber