Police Commissioner Patrick J. Carroll has announced a new year of the Citizen Police Academy, a 10-week course hosted by the NRPD to introduce citizens to the law enforcement and criminal justice systems.
Instructors will be drawn from every level of the Police Department, including Commissioner Carroll and Division Commanders, each presenting his or her area of expertise.
With the slogan “Police and Community Together,” the NRPD lists the following objectives for the program:
- To encourage increased communication and interaction between the New Rochelle Police Officers and the community, which they serve.
- To dispel misconceptions about the roles, responsibilities and activities of New Rochelle Police Officers.
- To provide participants with a basic understanding of police powers and limitations imposed by Law and Police Department policy.
- To familiarize participants with the dangers, difficulties and ambiguities inherent to modern Police work.
- To foster a citizen-police partnership to combat crime and develop a safer community.
The program will be held for ten Tuesdays, beginning April 19, from 6:30pm to 9:00pm. Applications are due on April 8.