City Policy on Cost-Sharing Dates to 1983

There has been considerable discussion in recent weeks about the possibility of County employees sharing in health insurance costs as a means of reducing County expenditures. The proposal from the new County Executive would have non-union County employees contribute 15% of their health insurance premiums. The new prominence of this issue may lead some local residents to wonder about the City’s policy on employee health contributions. Well, here it is:

For all City workers hired since 1983, both union and non-union, the City pays 82% of the State Empire Plan rate, with the remaining 18% contributed by the employee. This policy currently saves City taxpayers $3 million per year, compared to the cost of the City covering full health insurance rates.