Emblems Of City’s Artistic Heritage Restored
After an extensive restoration effort spanning almost two years, the ten historic signs that have graced the City of New Rochelle’s entranceways since 1923 are being reinstalled. The first sign, “Rich in History” by Norman Rockwell, was unveiled at the corner of Eastchester Road and Pelhamdale Avenue during a ceremony on March 28th, and the remainder are scheduled to be hung in the next few days. The signs will also be illuminated for the first time. The restoration was undertaken by a committee of volunteers, led by Mickie Fosina, and supported by many donors and friends in the community.
The metal signs were created in 1921 by the New Rochelle Art Association, whose members wanted to upgrade the black and white signs at the approach boundaries of the city. Ten artists and illustrators – including Rockwell, Clare Briggs, Frederick Dana Marsh and James Marsh – presented their designs to a special committee established by the Chamber of Commerce.
For the tens of thousands of New Rochelleans and visitors who have passed our borders in the decades since their creation, these signs have served as a warm greeting that inspires pride and respect for the values that make a community strong. We can be grateful to the volunteers who came together to rescue these treasures and restore their previous luster.